We are the Hawks - A brief history of Havant and Waterlooville FC

Revised August 2016

The Past

Hawks support at Dagenham and Redbridge in the first round of the FA Cup. (November 2002)
This season is the sixteenth since the union of south coast rivals Havant Town and Waterlooville FC; a history that although comparatively short has been witness to many accomplishments. Two promotions; semi-final matches in the FA Trophy and Conference Play-Offs; and no less than six FA Cup First Round appearances would be highlights - with the celebrated run during the 2007/08 season leading to a once in a lifetime trip to play Liverpool at Anfield in the Fourth Round.

Of course the story doesn’t start with the June 1998 merger; the origins of the club’s predecessors date back over 100 years. Local football in the borough started back in 1883 with the formation of Havant FC. The team plied their trade in the Portsmouth Football League and in the 1950s produced Chelsea and England forward Bobby Tambling. In 1969 the club merged with Leigh Park FC; Sunday League upstarts from a Havant suburb formed in 1958 who that season had won the FA Sunday Cup.

Havant and Leigh Park FC topped the Portsmouth League at their first attempt, and moved into the Fourth Division of the Hampshire League in 1970. Rapid promotions continued, and in 1977 the team reached the First Division. A spartan home at their Front Lawn pitch inhibited further progress, and the club acquired the site for their current home, Westleigh Park, in 1980. It took two years for the ground to be levelled, drained, enclosed, and a clubhouse built, but eventually in August 1982 the renamed Havant Town FC moved into their new home.

Hawks legend Paul Wood takes on Forest Green Rovers in the FA Trophy Quarter Final. (March 2003)
The team became founder members of the Wessex League in 1986, and were runners up three times before finally clinching the title and promotion to the Southern League in 1991. It was during this spell in the Wessex League that the club attained a record setting attendance of 3,500 against Wisbech Town in the Quarter Final of the FA Vase; a figure that wouldn’t be broken for another 22 years.

Waterlooville FC meanwhile came into existence in 1905, and progressed through the Waterlooville District, Portsmouth and Hampshire Leagues to take up residence in the Southern League twenty years before Havant in 1971. The league reorganised itself in the late 70s after the formation of the Football Conference, and Waterlooville narrowly missed winning the Southern Division in 1981, despite putting together a 31 match unbeaten run.

Waterlooville yo-yoed back and forth between the Southern and Premier Divisions through the 1980s and in 1987 won the league cup with a 2-1 victory over Hednesford Town. In 1993 the team finished in 11th place in the Premier, their highest ever position, but in the following years relegation and money problems made further title bids impossible. It was these financial woes that led Waterlooville into considering a merger with rivals Havant Town, who were trying to overcome problems of their own in 1997 after the unexpected departure of Manager Tony Mount to Newport Isle of Wight with many of the team’s key players.

Joining Forces

Alec Masson (gold) fends off Mark Hallam in the First Leg of the 2002/03 FA Trophy Semi Final. (April 2003)
The union was an obvious one, and after a successful first season the combined team topped the Southern League’s Southern Division and gained promotion to the Premier, from where they quickly challenged for an escape to the Football Conference in 2001/02. On that occasion they ultimately finished third in the table, but the season almost doubled attendance figures as local interest drew in new fans to witness the highest finishing position the club had achieved. Giddy concerns over promotion early that season brought about the rapid conclusion of a Ł500,000 improvement to Westleigh Park, taking it from its humble Hampshire League origins to Conference Premier standard; a grading the ground has retained since with the further addition of new player facilities and covering on all sides of the ground.

Shrewd player purchasing meant the 2002/03 season saw the most impressive side the club had fielded to that date, reflected in an FA Cup First Round appearance at Dagenham and Redbridge followed by a tremendous FA Trophy run that took the Hawks past Billericay Town, Sutton United, Colwyn Bay and Hayes before the game of the season at Forest Green Rovers.

To be in the quarter final of the FA Trophy was something no Hawks fan would have dared dream about; the side having only previously made it as far as the third round. Rovers took an early lead, but with an astonishing second half performance the Hawks made a superb comeback to win 2-1 and go on to bow out to league leaders Tamworth in the semi-final.

Tim Hambley (left) and James Taylor (right) line up for England National XI duty (April 2002) (Picture Simon Lynch)
Subsequent seasons saw rapid managerial changes. The departure of Mick Jenkins and Liam Daish in January 2004 saw successful reserve team boss David Leworthy installed in their place. At the time the Hawks were fighting for a top thirteen finish, and an automatic place in the new three division Conference. With so much at stake, competition in the Southern League was particularly fierce, but Leworthy’s enthusiasm and desire reformed a faltering side and lifted them from certain relegation to a place in the new Conference with a dramatic win on the penultimate day of the season.

Leworthy’s tenure ended suddenly in November 2004 after a poor sequence of results and club director Ian Baird was installed within a week as his replacement; the ex-Southampton, Portsmouth and Leeds striker having been a candidate when the position became vacant eleven months earlier.

Uncertainty remained in the side as Baird began to make changes, and the Hawks continued to drop down the table to find a new first in February 2005 when they found themselves propping up the bottom of the league. A rapid turnover of players followed as Baird tried and failed to find a winning formula over the following two seasons, resulting ultimately in the side’s fourth place finish in May 2007. A two legged playoff semi-final against Braintree followed, in which the Iron eventually triumphed on penalties in front of their home crowd.

Prior to the 2006/07 season the club announced a three-year six-figure sponsorship deal with brewing giants Carlsberg, which eventually extended to six. This helped with the first of a two stage renovation of the clubhouse at Westleigh Park, which after a second more comprehensive makeover in 2010 has now taken its place in the local community as a fully functioning public house called ‘The Westleigh’.

Gale’s Wind of Change

The Hawks take the lead at Anfield, John Hardacre (January 2008)
The reasons behind Baird’s abrupt departure to Conference rivals Eastleigh just ten games into the 2007/08 season remain shrouded in mystery, but two days later long term assistant manager and former defender Shaun Gale was installed as a very enthusiastic new boss. Citing the appointment as the achievement of a long term goal, Gale also launched the club’s Community programme in February 2008, which he still manages today.

His first real task in the job was to overcome Fleet Town in the third qualifying round of the FA Cup as the Hawks looked for a second consecutive first round appearance, having lost 2-1 to Millwall at Fratton Park the season preceding. With mission accomplished, the astonishing FA Cup run went on and on past Leighton Town, York City and Notts County until the Hawks began to gain national prominence with a Third Round tie against League One leaders Swansea City. A two legged affair followed, with Rocky Baptiste’s equaliser at the Liberty Stadium setting up a replay at Westleigh Park watched by 4,400 fans in which the Swans were outplayed and sent back to Wales with a 4-2 defeat, much to the delight of the media.

Cup fever gripped the town when the Fourth Round draw handed the Hawks a trip to face European giants Liverpool, and 21 coaches helped move 6,000 Hawks fans to Anfield on January 26th 2008. An attendance of 42,566 watched as the non-league minnows shook the Kop and took the lead twice against the Reds before the inevitable defeat, almost irrelevant after the magical journey the cup run had created.

ITV's cameras visit Westleigh Park (November 2008)
While league performances remained mediocre, the Hawks once again performed well in the Cups during the 2008/09 season, and after beating Conference Premier high flyers Crawley Town 3-0 at Broadfield Stadium in the Fourth Qualifying Round of the FA Cup, made their third First Round appearance in three years. Having missed out on full television coverage in all four of the previous season’s major FA Cup games, the legacy the run left behind drew the attention of ITV, and on 9th November 2008 the Hawks made their first ever live television appearance before going down 3-1 to League Two Brentford.

In the same season the Hawks also beat Conference Premier sides Lewes and Crawley Town to reach the quarter finals of the FA Trophy, where York City took revenge for their 2007/08 dismissal from the FA Cup with a 2-0 victory at Kit-Kat Crescent.

Behind the scenes the club has continued to improve its facilities and standing in the local area. The Community programme, which involves local schools and children in football, has gone from strength to strength, and in financially uncertain times, the money generated from the FA Cup runs has helped to ensure the club now stands debt free. Improvements to Westleigh Park continue through every summer, and the ground now boasts new conference suites and a hospitality room overlooking the pitch. The main stand has also been extended, taking the seated capacity of the ground to 642.

The horrendously wet winter of 2010/11 exposed problems with the pitch: notably a broken drain, buried building rubble and a fungus infestation that caused countless postponements in the wet. As a result in the summer of 2011 the surface was completely removed; the drain replaced; a new under surface sprinkler system installed and a new playing surface sown from seed. As such the Westleigh Park pitch is now of league standard and one of the best in the Conference South.

Ups and Downs

Mustafa Tiryaki, Wes Fogden and Bobby Hopkinson celebrate beating title winners Newport County 4-0 during the 2009/10 season run in (April 2010) Picture Dave Haines
Despite a further FA Cup first round appearance at home to Conference North side Droylsden in the years that followed, Shaun Gale’s tenure as manager saw less success in the league. An excellent start to the 2009/10 campaign put the Hawks in the playoff bracket for the first two months of the season, but defeats through the winter left the side needing a miraculous finish to regain a top five spot. That miracle almost did happen when a mid-season restructuring of the team sent the Hawks on a 21 match run that saw them beaten just three times, but ultimately the side finished one point shy of a playoff place.

However the Hawks quickly became a side that promised much on paper with big name signings each summer, but offered little in the way of results. In subsequent years the team finished lower and lower down the table until in spring 2012 relegation became a real possibility. Problems with summer signings left the team short of experience and depth, and a run of 22 matches with just two wins left the club on the edge of the drop zone at the start of April.

With teams around them beginning to find a second wind, it was clear that the Hawks would need to win at least half of their remaining games to stay up, and after a dire performance at Basingstoke Shaun Gale was relieved of his position as manager. Assistant boss Steve Johnson took the reins with coach Adi Aymes for the remaining six matches of the season, and the Hawks gave themselves hope with two back to back wins against Truro and Salisbury.

But three consecutive one-nil defeats followed and at the start of the final day of the season the Hawks knew that only a win at home against Staines Town would guarantee their safety. Modern technology meant that scores from the other important games arrived throughout the match and what followed was a tense season finale as the Hawks slipped in and out of the relegation zone over the ninety minutes.

Joe Dolan's last ditch shot saves the Hawks from relegation (April 2012) Picture Dave Haines
What had ultimately been an entire season of worry and what-ifs eventually came down to the final minutes of the final match. When Maidenhead scored to win 4-3 in injury time against Eastleigh at York Road the incalculable volume of result permutations of possible table positions were reduced to one simple fact: at 2-2 the Hawks had sixty seconds to score a goal, beat Staines, and stay in the league.

It was an unlikely proposition to say the least, but when Joe Dolan prodded the ball home to score his debut and only Hawks goal with virtually the last kick of the game, Westleigh Park exploded with a euphoria unlike any witnessed before.

The club had survived, and the board’s first post-season decision was to appoint former player and successful local manager Stuart Ritchie as Shaun Gale’s replacement. Ritchie’s experience in bringing AFC Totton from the Wessex League to the brink of the Conference South, and also taking the Stags to the final of the FA Vase, made him an ideal candidate. Barry Blankley then came on board as assistant manager after a long run in the role at Salisbury City. Nine new signings followed in the summer of 2012, and optimism returned. However Ritchie struggled in his new role and with just one win and a dismally early exit from the FA Cup, the Hawks’ board took the decision to end his tenure after just ten games.

Bradbury's Revival
Blankley departed as well, and after two games with Adi Aymes back in the role of caretaker manager, former Portsmouth striker and AFC Bournemouth manager Lee Bradbury was announced in October 2012 as the man who would shake the side up and reverse the Hawks’ ailing fortunes. His first action was to recognise the considerable experience of Shaun Gale, who returned to the side in the role of assistant manager; giving the Hawks a unique combination of non-league knowledge and fresh ambition to restart the 2012/13 campaign.

Bradbury’s first match in charge of the Hawks, away to Basingstoke on October 13th, became the side’s second win of the season and it lifted the side out of the relegation zone. With 31 games remaining at the point he took over, Bradbury took time to cut underperforming players while relying on a string of impressive loan signings from league sides to bolster the team. The Hawks eventually finished the season with a record of 13 wins and 9 draws under his control, which also saw them top the form table as they went ten games undefeated through February and March.

Bradbury’s first complete season in charge became one of extremes, with some terrible lows balanced against incredible highs. The side seemed unable to capitalise on the momentum they had gathered at the end of the previous season and by October were displaying indifferent league form as well as having already exited the FA Cup. The FA Trophy though was a different matter, and wins against Sutton, Basingstoke, Whitehawk, Ebbsfleet and Aldershot took the Hawks to an improbable local derby semi-final with Gosport Borough. Gosport were floundering at the bottom of the league at the time and the Hawks seemed to have a clear path to the final, but a draw in the first leg and defeat away at Privett Park in the second meant the Hawks missed out on the trip to Wembley. They did manage to get to Fratton Park however in the final of the Hampshire Senior Cup, but again lost out at the last, this time 3-2 to Basingstoke Town.

Sixteen cup matches and an abysmally wet winter meant that come spring the Hawks were way behind in the league, at one point with as many as 13 games in hand on some teams above them. Postponement after postponement due to waterlogged pitches resulted in the Hawks being forced to adopt a three match a week regime for the whole of March and April. It seemed an impossible task, but the side rose to the challenge, and win after win propelled them up the table. In those two months the Hawks played an astonishing 23 games, losing only five, and by the final week of the season a play-off place was in their hands. Two poor results though in their last two games meant that Dover took fifth place on goal difference, both sides having accrued 69 points.

For the 2014/15 season the Hawks went one better and finished in fifth place after enjoying their most successful league season for many years. Rarely outside the playoff bracket, the Hawks remained in contention throughout the season and recorded the second best defensive record in the league. This took them to a play-off semi-final against Boreham Wood where first leg nerves got the better of the side and they lost at home 2-0 before a crowd of 1296. Although the second leg was a draw, the damage had already been done, and Boreham Wood eventually went on to win promotion. The Hawks enjoyed significant cup success again, playing a total of 15 games in four competitions. In the FA Cup the Hawks reached the first round proper and lost 3-0 at home to League One side Preston North End, who eventually went on to win promotion to the Championship through the play-offs. Then in April the Hawks won the Portsmouth Senior Cup, beating Petersfield Town 4-2.

Recognising the need for a more potent front line, Lee Bradbury added three experienced strikers to his squad in the form of James Hayter, Marvin Morgan and Matt Paterson in the summer of 2015, but despite these additions a bumpy season followed through which the Hawks rarely escaped the lower third of the table. Better success came in cup competitions. The Hawks again faired well in the FA Trophy, reaching the third round before losing 3-0 away to Conference National side Grimsby Town. More locally, the side for the first time in their history lifted the Hampshire Senior Cup, beating Winchester City 5-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw at St Mary’s. The Hawks then narrowly missed out on a local cup double when they were beaten in the final of the Portsmouth Senior Cup 3-1 by Baffins Milton Rovers.

This season the Hawks face the uncertainty of life in a new home, taking a position in the Ryman League for the first time in their history. However, under the continued management of Lee Bradbury, the team are set to make a bid for an immediate return to the Football Conference.