Hawks vs Hungerford

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Hawks vs Hungerford

Postby SammyHawk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:43 am

Another enjoyable night under the lights at WLP. Felt we did a professional enough job on them and deserved the 3 points. At times in the first half, I thought we’d do “a Dorking” on them with our slick passing and pace but it’s not always going to be possible to destroy teams like that. A quieter second half which I think was part down to them having to change tactics but even so they very rarely trouble Worner. For me it was a toss up between Benny or Straks for MoM even though it quite easily could have gone to Ayunga for a great double. Pleasing to see us adapt with the injuries to Deacs and Jukes, who hopefully will be back quickly. Another good attendance too. We deserve it with all the initiatives going on off the pitch. Great media work by Henry and the team. Our twitter and insta feeds are superb and I feel more informed about the club than in any previous season.

We are building a decent goal difference already which could be key later and goals against are very impressive. I think the next 6 league games will be a big test for the squad in what is definately proving to be a challenging league. Fair play on Wealdstone, they are like an unstoppable train right now but as Dos says, it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

COYH!!!!
SammyHawk

Re: Hawks vs Hungerford

Postby PO6_Hawk » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:06 am

During the opening 15/20 minutes I too felt this could be another Dorking scoreline. But the 3 points and dominant performance is plenty to ask.

The 2 fullbacks were exceptional last night. Benny's run and cross in the lead up to the second goal was awesome, and Straker was magnificent all evening. Losing Strugnell & Williams, two good full backs and two long serving clubmen was always going to be a big void to fill but boy have these two done that plus some!

Bailey ran the show in the middle as per usual, and Jonah was too strong and busy for the Hungerford centre backs to handle.
Wes has also been exceptional so far this season and must cover twice the distance of any other player by chasing down lost causes and being a general nuisance to defenses.

Let's hope the injuries are not long term and this momentum carries on for as long as possible!
PO6_Hawk

Postby Pompeyred » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:03 am

Enjoyed the game again ,we were comfortable throughout and an early goal helped settle us. I too thought the full backs were exceptional. we obviously play without natural wingers so they are asked to do plenty of work up and down the flanks, something both are doing really well. Jonah will get 30 goals this year if he stays fit, he even won a few headers so a successful night all round! :)

hopefully the injury situation eases off soon, we've obviously got Chris Paul and Ollie Dennett out on loan who could come back? Marley Ridge possibly too, i think Dennett has scored a few goals for Poole and did well when he came on at Hampton. We might even see another loan come in
Pompeyred

Postby baz » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:03 am

Agree with all of the above. It was a game we should have expected to win and it looked like we would win handsomedly when the second goal went in, but Hungerford dragged themselves back into the game with an opportunist goal and looked as if it might be a tougher game than I first thought. Second half though we dominated and but for the intervention of the post, crossbar and a fine save from the keeper, who looked dodgy early on, it ended up a very comfortable victory.

Benny and Strakes both had excellent games but it was nice that the less experienced player should get the MOM award. I didn't seem to miss Drury and Deacon on last nights performance, but can't leave them out of the team when fully fit again, especially against better teams than Hungerford.

Saturday against Maidstone will be a real test, I'd take a draw now. After a slow start they are now putting some good results together and no doubt will be amongst the front runners this season, so come back with a point to keep our unbeaten run going.

COYH
baz

Postby underthenewstand » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:36 pm

Another decent performance to add to the good start so far, still feel the team has another gear in them if they really go full steam once its back to Saturday games only.

Hope another 3G/4G pitch at Oxford hasnt put some of our key players out for too long plus the stupid amount of games that we have played in the first month which PD mentioned in his interview last night that is stupid,im sure it goes back to a few years when the country had so much rain and teams fell behind with games the league want so many games played early on to make sure there is big gaps at end of season to fit games in but not sure having so many games early on with players still getting there fitness at this level is a good thing.

Also the fixtures not sure how we have ended up with 3 saturdays away from home as well, hopefully one day the NL will do away with pencil and paper to do the fixtures.
Owner of 2 Rory Williams shirts that are not suitable for my 35yr old Body Frame.
underthenewstand

Return to Hawk Lounge