Walking football for the over-50s

Discussion forum for the over-50 walking football team.

Re: Walking football for the over-50s

Postby RKelly » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:11 pm

......and I agree, this is definitely one of the best hour of the week!!!! Thanks Galey for your excellent coaching and patience!! See you all on Sat... Or next Thursday morning!!!
RKelly

Postby Fatbloke@football » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:42 pm

rob my wok has been located so my shirt will be ironed on time thanks for your concern :mrgreen:
Fatbloke@football

Postby RKelly » Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:48 pm

Excellent news Derek...although I did have a spare one you could have used!! See ya Thurs!!
RKelly

Postby happyinspain » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:24 pm

Welcome to the eagerly awaited update on the HAWKS over 50 walking football team. This thread is so popular and well read its verging on going viral!

We started our session with a brutal and vicious warm up, bringing some of the squad to the verge of exhaustion. This was followed by a complex and intricate drill, which was so poorly executed that Shaun The Gob suggested that next week he would prefer to attach his genitals to a plank of wood rather than waste his time with us :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

The quality of one touch passing, movement and deft touches is a joy to behold, so much so there is a healthy rumor that Bradders is sending down a talent scout :lol: watch out JJ, check your speed Ben Swallow :crazy:

With the 10 strong and sturdy warmed and raring to go, the teams were selected and the battle began, the Vivids started the strongest slicing through the startled Baby Blues defense, then sinking a superb strike to take the lead, what a gripping match, nip and tuck all the way until......... the B Blues took command a scintillating hat trick from Matt the Danny, followed by the seasons wonder goal from the in form Wok, a first time shot from the half way line thundering into the net :clap: The Vivids were rocked, then there were absolute stunners from The Surf and Joe the Mighty. The Match concluded 9-5 to the B Blues
The Vivids were livid, but generous in defeat.

With our first match proper looming, Shaun TG has an unenviable task ahead......team selection. Firstly which keeper? George the Safe what a keeper! maybe The Wok this week like a gazelle, then we have the Clive the nimble great between the sticks or the ever agile Stewart the Voice confidently organizing the team from under the crossbar.
In the outfield who could leave out the mesmerizing talent of Pete the Fast, or the pace and calculated skill of Rob the Fit, the team needs old snake hips The Wok with his quirky style of play. What about the agile and precise The Surf ( Hand Ball !!!!)?, and every team needs the man mountain Joe the mighty teams will quake with fear at the size and talent. We need the proficient and powerful driving force that is Stewart The Voice, we demand the presence of Clive the Nimble, quiet, calculating and deadly. Could we leave out Matt the Danny stylish, eccentric, hard working? last but certainly NOT least, Dave the Not So New, strong, imaginative, committed.
Over to you Shaun TG, rather you than me :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Finally to close this weeks analysis, and for our ever growing band of supporters, our new kit is being ordered this week, with such a large following we will be selling replica shirts @ £50 each, these will be available in M, L, XL and WOK (£20 surcharge).

As always thanks to Galesy, another great session :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
happyinspain

Postby RKelly » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:59 pm

Brilliant report Matt...although I knew this would be posted in record time this week as you were on the winning Baby Blue team!!! I thought your goal where we Vivids were sorting out who should be keeper deserved a mention....should it have been allowed as we clearly weren't ready for the restart??? Without some super saves by Derek 'The Salmon' in goal then I'm sure we Vivids could have edged another 9-9 draw!!!! Looking forward to the rematch already!!! Roll on next Thursday!!!
RKelly

Postby Probably Shirts » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:45 pm

"scintillating hat trick" indeed.

I presume that includes the scintillating one that bounced off both of your shins before it dribbled into the net Matt? :lol:

Fair dos, it baffled the keeper completely. :?
Probably Shirts

Postby Probably Shirts » Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Great turn-out today, can't wait for Matt's match report.

Afterwards we went to the Westleigh where we were shown our new kit - mega thanks to Matt and Paul for buying it, a remarkable gesture that will need to be repaid with a few pints after matches!

The kit is navy blue shirts and shorts, with white trim on the shorts and white socks. Looks great, and they've got the Hawks badge on it. Richard Pope has numbered them, but he ran out of "1"s I think as they only go up to 9, then it's 50, 65, and 77!
Probably Shirts

Postby RKelly » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:06 pm

Really impressed with the turnout today (12 players plus Shaun and Harry), great game....but I won't give away the result as Matt's report will reveal all!!!!!

What a fantastic gesture from Matt and Paul to sponsor the kit, more than happy to treat them to a couple of pints!! It looks excellent, can't wait for us to turnout as a team (or two!!) against the likes of Eastleigh, Gosport, etc!!!

We have come a long way since those early sessions in September when only four of us turned up (playing two-a-side footy wasn't easy!!!) and it's great that the new guys have all fitted in so well!!

COYHO50WFT !!!!!
RKelly

Postby happyinspain » Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:10 pm

Gentlemen, WAGs and fans.

Please look out tomorrow for the match report and training update.

I am polishing my superlatives in readiness for the long awaited report.
happyinspain

Postby happyinspain » Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:16 pm

Welcome all to the long anticipated match report and training update.

Before I report on the football, our HAWKS over 50 walking football PR department has been inundated with calls and emails. I suppose with the popularity of the team, the enigmatic coach and the wondrous display of skill on show it was inevitable. Requests for signed shirts, signed photos, media interviews and an ever-growing demand for a ‘Calendar Girls’ style calendar. :oops: :oops:

Anyway, to the action on the astro. A crisp, damp, overcast morning did nothing to subdue the effervescent players who all arrived early, with Galesy 10 minutes early we knew today had to be special. :thumbup:

The normal warm up started with light jogging, stretches and a simple passing drill, moving on to a somewhat complex pass and follow routine which we all mastered until the introduction of another ball and a whistle reversing the passage of play, PANDEMONIUM!!!! :lol:

Once again we were 12 brave and sturdy (some considerably more sturdy than others!), teams were selected, the Inspired VIVDS V the Sublime BABY BLUES took to the field.

The atmosphere was tense and somewhat edgy with all 12 desperate to make an impact, the match began at a furious pace with meticulous and crisp passing and a controlled build-up of play, end to end football with little to choose between the teams, after 30 minutes of frenetic football the game was decided by one goal the final score 5-4 to The VIVIDS in a close fought battle. :clap: :clap:

Performances just get better, we welcome back The WOK from the Beckham training academy nice to see his deft stroke of the ball and gazelle like antics in goal, Stewart The VOICE as always huge commitment and ball skill, Paul The SURF quiet, calculating and deadly, Clive The NIMBLE where does he find the space, always opening up the opposition, Rob The FIT an exuberant and decadent talent, Tony The WALL powerful and potent, George The SAFE a creative and commanding skill, Pete The FAST a dexterous and lithe playmaker, Dave the NEW (not to be confused with Dave The NOT SO NEW) enthusiastic and imaginative player, Dave The NOT SO NEW hard working, passionate and eager, Joe The MIGHTY what a talent work rate second to none, and finally Matt The DANNY exuberant and uplifting, this really was a match to behold, 30 minutes of awe inspiring football. :clap: :thumbup: :clap: :thumbup:

I now have a couple of requests; firstly I would like to invite our illustrious chairmen Mr Derek Pope to join us one Thursday and witness first-hand the incredible talent of our team, and I’m sure on seeing our team perform, perhaps he would be kind enough to offer to sponsor our much needed track suits. :clap:

As always big thanks to Galesy for making our Thursdays so enjoyable, as ive said before the most enjoyable hour of the week. :clap:

With just 2 weeks of training left before our Christmas break, rumours are rife of a spectacular team Christmas celebration, obviously it would be dangerous to announce the details as the venue would be mobbed with fans and paparazzi. :wave:

And finally, Eastleigh agreed to a match, it has since transpired that they are not responding to us any more, the question is have they ‘bottled it’ :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by happyinspain on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
happyinspain

PreviousNext

Return to Hawks Walking Football