Walking football for the over-50s

Discussion forum for the over-50 walking football team.

Re: Walking football for the over-50s

Postby Probably Shirts » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:28 pm

Hi Raps,
Like Rob says, check out the rules ( http://www.hampshirefa.com/~/media/coun ... tball.ashx ), and join us at Sarf Dahns all-weather 11.00 on Thursday!

Just don't be surprised if the Special One gives you some stick whenever you make a decision! I think Rob's being a bit harsh on the Eastleigh Ref, he did send 4 of their players off after all (eventually!).
Probably Shirts

Postby RKelly » Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:08 pm

Fair call. Stewart, he did spot 20 running incidents, shame about the other 20 he missed!!!
RKelly

Postby Probably Shirts » Fri Feb 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Walking Football Meeting on Monday at the Public Service Plaza, Havant.

Hi all, I've just been sent the agenda for the meeting. Rob, Matt, and myself are going to the meeting along with the Special One, and are meeting up at the Westleigh at 1.30 Monday afternoon. If any of you have any particular issue you want us to raise at the meeting, then if you can either leave a message here or else pop into the Westleigh before we leave for the meeting, we can put it forward for you.

Havant Walking Football

Monday 16th February 2015
2.00pm, Public Service Plaza, Havant

Agenda

1. Welcome and introductions

2. Session updates

3. Key successes and challenges – Group discussion

4. Hampshire FA

- Current and future position
- Walking Football Festival and league
- Licensed groups
- Rules and facilities

5. Grow the game – a joined up approach in Havant

6. AOB

Cheers, Stewart
Probably Shirts

Postby RKelly » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:51 pm

Very useful thanks Stewart
RKelly

Postby Probably Shirts » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Rob, the Special One, and myself attended the meeting at the Plaza as planned today. Matt sent his apologies.

Unfortunately there was no rep from the Hants FA, which was a shame as we wanted to get some points over to them about the rules and how we saw them being laid out and interpreted. They had sent a powerpoint presentation that included some info about the WF game development plan in Hampshire.

There were reps there from the WF groups at Horndean, Hayling, and Emsworth, and Richard Wood from Havant BC who was able to update us on the South Downs WF group. Richard had organised a minute-taker so the Hants FA will get written feedback by way of a copy of the record of our discussion.

While there is no money as such available from Havant BC, there seem to be some incentives there from the Hants FA including sets of training kit and match shirts (an away kit?) if groups jump through a series of the right hoops (which we should be able to manage quite easily). I think that side of it is all sponsored by Mars chocolate - so, that'll help our waistlines and early onset type-2 diabetes then!

Anyway, the good news is that reports from the other groups were that they seem to have the same philosophy as we do about the way to play the game. They were concerned about the feedback we gave about our game against Eastleigh, as they described the vast majority of their players as not really being there for "competitive" matches. Just like us, for the most part they are simply enthusiasts who really don't have the self-preservation skills required for serious match situations.

The emphasis of the meeting was that there is huge potential for WF to be the biggest growth sport in the country (including women's WF), but alongside that there was concern that if it isn't promoted (and played) the right way people will drop out through disillusion. We spoke about the need for good and consistent refereeing and how to make "running" less attractive to teams - I suggested awarding penalty kicks for every third offence as well as a sin-binning; the Special One suggested that the third player a team has sent to the sin bin be considered "sent off", and they play a man short for the rest of the game (or in Eastleigh's case two men short!).

There was also a lot of talk about the possibility of Festivals (not "tournaments", not "leagues", and not "competitions" - there's a significant difference!) between the various Havant groups. Excitingly, the Special One spoke about seeing if we can play 10-minute exhibition games at half-time during first team matches at WLP once the pitch is up to it. He will speak to Chairman Derek (who is apparently a registered player with us!) about this, as well as the possibility of holding a local Festival at WLP and making a summer's day of it with the bar and ground open and up to four matches going on on the pitch at any one time.

The overall upshot is that we can expect more intense communication between ourselves and other local WF groups, with potential for friendlies and/or more highly organised Festivals high on the agenda. This is in addition to the March 8th Tournament at Eastleigh.

Oh, and it looks like it'll be size 4 balls, by the way!

Rob, did I miss anything?
Probably Shirts

Postby RKelly » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:23 pm

Nope, you got all the points there Stewart. Only thing I would add is that there will be a follow-up mtg at some point, and we have requested that Hants FA MUST ATTEND - otherwise their commitment in this will be in severe question!!
RKelly

Postby happyinspain » Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm

Sincere apologies to the many disappointed readers of the match update and training report. Our PR department has been under immense pressure due to our pending auction of the sole TV rights of the HAWKS over 50’s walking football matches 2015-2016; initial reports suggest huge interest with massive amounts being bandied about :thumbup: :thumbup:

The main event of last week was the BBC Panorama team and camera crew arriving at our training session last week, they introduced themselves as a local community station filming a local piece, we saw through this sham, and I was invited to meet in secret with them later that day. They showed me a recent VT covertly taken at a local rivals training camp, this turned out to be a horrific expose, the first part their head coach was describing some of their entry qualities they required including being aggressive, the bigger the better and willing to regularly break the law. They took lessons on advanced barging, hostile pushing, intimidating bouts of shoving followed by prolonged sessions of sprinting, unlike most teams they have no need for a physio they employ a full time physco mentoring their every grunt and growl, and for the slightly more learned they are coaxed in the art of being patronising and condescending. We were informed that our team had been highlighted as we were considered a well drilled assemblage of gentlemen, 16 athletic masculine specimens finely honed in the art of walking football, led by the Westleigh heartthrob our own Christian Gray Shaun ’50 shades of Gale’ with his rugged good looks, his carefully jelled, lightly spiked salt and pepper (mainly salt) mane, his pristine shell suit, bright plimsolls and his deep soft dulcet prose (sorry got carried away there) :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

And so to this week, 3 of the squad had an interesting experience this week as we arrived to assist our incredible groundsmen (Martin and Darren) in the noble art of ‘putting the covers on’ at WLP, all I can say is I feel emotionally affected by this encounter, nevertheless I urge each and every one of you to grab this task with both hands and cherish the moment…….Good luck. :shock: :crazy: :shock: :crazy:

To the astro, today we have our largest squad ever of 17, we welcome Barry, who shall be named Barry the Booze due to his alcoholic intake and Dave, who shall ba called Dave the Limpet due to his great defensive marking, welcome to the fold. We also welcome a friendly rival Gaffer Topsey??? Who looks after teams at Hayling and Emsworth. A really good guy, who assisted in training and refed the match, nice one Topsey. After a brief yet useful warm up the teams were selected and the 9 strong vivids faced the 9 strong baby blues. :clap: :clap:

It was a hard fought match played at a blistering pace with the Vivids taking the lead quite early on with an impressive cameo from Pete the Fast driving from defence and slotting the ball past the floundering Wok. The Wok injured from last week’s Joes warm up went on to play a crucial part in the Blues goal. The Vivids lead lasted until the last few minutes, where Joe the Mighty put 2 past the Vivids to take the match 2-1 to the Blues. :thumbup: :thumbup:

There were some incredible performances today not least by the ever exuberant master of defence Stewart the Voice a show of magnificence from Rob the Fit a true display of strength from Tony the Wall, add to this a demonstration of penetration from Dave the Rave (NO cameras please!!!) a constant parade of fancy footwork the wondrous Dave SBD, supreme skill that is George the Safe, the show boater of skill himself John the Nipper, immense talent from Clive the Nimble, the intense driving force Paul the Anxious, mesmerising us all was Mo the Polite, talent off the scale Jeff the Influential, Matt the Ham (Hit and Miss) lived up to his name again. Finally ’50 Shades’ played the full 90 today, not bad Shaun but don’t give up your day job. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Post-match and we all reconvene at The Westleigh, where we are greeted by Mine Host Scott the Soother plying us with delicious hot beverages cheers Scotty, Adi ‘Ding Dong’ the Eloquent popped in for a fleeting visit looking mighty dapper in embroidered jeans and a highly detailed shirt, not sure if he was late for a board meeting or his weekly line dancing class. No sign this week of Lord Bradders but whispers were he’d nipped home for a quick pint of home-brew and a roll-up in his potting shed. :lol: :lol:

I can confirm that we ALL look stunning in our fresh new tracksuits embellished with our clubs famous insignia. :thumbup: :thumbup:

And I feel I must pass on this overheard gossip, two of our squad have taken the wearing of the Vivid pink bibs too far and seem to have touched base with their feminine side by arranging a cosy trip to the up and coming Gay Pride event in Brighton, maybe they’ll be playing mincing football? :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

A new feature, with forgetfulness playing a big part in our ever ageing population, here are the lost and found this week.
FOUND;
A large box of blue tablets were found after training this week, if these remain unclaimed they will be issued when we come up against any STIFF opposition at the tournament on March 8th :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

LOST;
Matt the Ham wonders if anyone’s found his form. This was lost some time ago; a substantial reward is on offer. :o :o

LOST;
The Wok has lost a tenner, we all had a whip round for him but he said he meant 10lbs and he’s distraught about losing his finely crafted physique, so next week please buy him a doughnut :lol: :lol:

Finally I feel extremely fortunate to be part of the HAWKS set up; we have been very well looked after, offered incredible coaching and the general support and commitment from everyone at WLP is much appreciated, we are very privileged to have such great facilities. :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
happyinspain

Postby jcwm » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:03 am

Another incredible piece of sporting journalism by happyinspain!! This all adds to the fun and goodwill within the team. Brilliant. :thumbup: :thumbup:
jcwm

Postby Fatbloke@football » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 am

great report they should have you doing the first team match report :clap: :clap: :clap:
Fatbloke@football

Postby Probably Shirts » Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:12 pm

"50 shades of Gale"..... :clap: Very good, I don't know where you get them from Matt.

Nice to see two more new faces there yesterday, when the Yeti gets back that would take us up to 18, which would be excellent.

Dave and Barry turning up did remind me that there was one thing I missed from the report on the meeting we went to - one of the coaches said he'd had a call from someone interested in playing, but the person asked when and where his group held trials for players.

Categorically NO TRIALS. The game is for anyone and everyone, regardless of ability or experience. The only "trial" is whether you can get there to join in!

That said, some of our football is criminal and should be on trial :wave: :wave:
Probably Shirts

PreviousNext

Return to Hawks Walking Football