I've got a new game to play . . .

The place to discuss anything other than Hawks related topics. Register to post.

I've got a new game to play . . .

Postby sheemee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:43 am

I've got a new game to play. It's like trainspotting only more techno.

It all started when I was at my desktop PC working on my files and listening to the radio commentary from a cricket match. There was a lull in the game and the commentators where trivially filling airspace.

One of them had a laptop and said he'd been told of an innovative new website and brought it up on his laptop to give the other a demo. The conversation completely left the cricket behind for a while as they discussed this website revelation.

The site in question was 'planefinder.com' and it's sister site 'shipfinder.com' where you can track any commercial airplane or ship anywhere in the world.

I proceeded to check it out.

We have a first floor apartment with a lovely cosy balcony which we can sit out on. It faces west and has a great uninterrupted sky view especially good for sunsets. I've discovered I can watch planes from many miles away. As far away as Salisbury in Wiltshire.

The best time is evening time. I sit out with my latest book and read. There is my laptop at the side of me and if I hear the drone of a plane I glance at the screen to see if it's in view.

It then gives me a flight number, the Airline, a registration number, altitude, speed, destination to and from and even its course. It will even give a drawing of the plane in airline livery. How cool is that.

I'm not telling you about the ships but living near Portsmouth, Southampton and the Isle of Wight as we do, this site is even more fascinating to me. I'm not telling but I bet you look anyway.

Check 'em out, but I give this warning. I take no responsibility for anyone's addictions.
Last edited by sheemee on Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sheemee

Re: I've got a new game to play . . .

Postby nath » Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:04 pm

I'm the same mate, I use the Solent shipping AIS site though - you can listen in to radio transmissions as well. Fascinating stuff!
And then darling, just for one day, yeah, we can fight and we can win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible
nath

Postby sheemee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:09 pm

Hi Nath,

Is that the ship-tracking.co.uk site you are mentioning?
sheemee

Postby nath » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:03 pm

Yep thats the one
And then darling, just for one day, yeah, we can fight and we can win
And if only for a little while, we could insist on the impossible
nath

Postby sheemee » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Thanks Nath,

Having a good gander and enjoying myself, here.
sheemee

Return to Off Topic