Thats that then

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Thats that then

Postby montyles » Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Any suggestions what to do on a Saturday?
montyles

Re: Thats that then

Postby Highhawks » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:12 am

Trying to think of something lol, maybe sue the Chinese for shutting the whole world down and ruining our fun, but in all seriousness unfortunately no choice but had to cancel everything all sports and other things etc, not for too long we hope but out of our hands now
Highhawks

Postby kevin » Tue Mar 17, 2020 4:58 pm

I could go out into my garden and live steam some snail racing for you, but then I probably have better things to do :roll:
kevin

Postby baz » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:00 am

Cant see anything being resolved till well past the end of the season, so what should happen?

There are those, generally fans of clubs who had nothing or very little to play for, saying the season should be declared null and void or those of us, including myself, who think that as 3/4 of the season has been completed for the vast majority of clubs that placings should be based on points per games played, followed by goal difference and goals scored if any clubs cant be separated. Of course
I'm being biased regarding our position but still feel it would be the just decision even if we weren't in such a strong position.

Any views on this?

COYH
baz

Postby Probably Shirts » Wed Mar 18, 2020 2:35 pm

Of course you are right Baz.
That's the problem though, the powers-that-be won't have the guts to do anything as sensible as that, as someone down the line, one place out of the play-offs in one division or another, will sue them for breach of contract.
Probably Shirts

Postby PO6_Hawk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:02 pm

I see it's now confirmed that all leagues below National North & South have ended with no promotion or relegation, whilst National Leagues will "continue towards a conclusion "as quickly as possible".

It's going to be a hell of a squeeze fitting in the remaining league and play off fixtures!

It remains to be seen how many of the Nation League clubs survive this however to be able to re-start again as/when able.
I think there will be a few League 1/2 & national league clubs struggling and potentially going bust unfortunately.
PO6_Hawk

Postby King of Spades » Thu Mar 26, 2020 5:29 pm

Its not too bad to fit in if they get a month, 8-10 games each isn't exactly unheard of at this level it could just be Saturday & midweek in May or June and playoffs would need only a week. If it is possible to finish they will, just have to wait and see at this point
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby Pompeyred » Thu Mar 26, 2020 7:08 pm

We’ve realistically no chance of finishing the league.

Clubs have players out of contract, loan players, a whole heap of issues about match fitness etc before you’ve even got into an area where this virus has been totally eradicated.

I think the FA have taken the decision today as step 3 and below have less financial clout to complain but it also gives those clubs the freedom to release those players out of contract and put the players in the hands of the government ref wages and pay.

the premier league EFL, and National leagues may choose to award places as they are now on average points??
Pompeyred

Postby montyles » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:31 pm

I dont like being pessimistic ever, but i dont think there will be any football for us to see until next season. Having seen today that Italy is still struggling to contain this bugger of a virus, and Spain looks awful as well, and the experts saying we as a country are 2-3 weeks behind what is happening abroad, I just cannot see how fixtures can be fulfilled. As much as i dislike Liverpool I feel it would be a huge injustice to them, if the season is declared void, and they do not become champions. Sorry for being so downbeat but that is just how i feel at this moment in time.
montyles

Postby Pompeyred » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:55 pm

this season is surely done for. the simplest way to go on the bare face of it is to wait however long it takes and just start again, whatever that time frame is. this obviously isn't as simple as it sounds as I said above with player contracts, TV deals, Sponsorship etc.

Id do these things to satisfy the most amount of clubs and reward good performance. i dont think any solution satisfies everyone.

work out a PPG for every club and then end the season with all league tables finalised in those positions.

The champions of each league and those in the promotion places are awarded as league winners / clubs are promoted
no play offs
No relegation*
To balance out the league over the next 2 years relegate 1 or 2 more clubs than normal to regain the current league structure.

*Relegate Weymouth.

That should sort it!
Pompeyred

Next

Return to Hawk Lounge