Vs Wealdstone

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Vs Wealdstone

Postby PO6_Hawk » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:25 pm

Where to start?

A great opening 15/20 mins and a deserving lead. Wealdstone then got into the game and a fair 1-1 score line at HT.

Kedwell scores a good header very early in the 2nd half and from there...

I don’t like singling out individuals but unfortunately Simon Walton just doesn’t cut the mustard.
As good as he is in the air and pinging long passes he is too slow, clumsy and indecisive. The 3rd goal was directly from his mistake, of which Wealdstone should have scored from two previous ones only moments before.
The centre halves were left for dead with balls played over them and that was the difference today.
If Read is fit he has to start, along with Magri & Robinson in the middle.

I know Wealdstone have quick forwards, but in such a huge game why on earth wasn’t Nicky Bailey starting?
Even if only for his experience alone...

Jonah going off injured obviously disrupted the game plan somewhat, but in all fairness not many clear cut chances were created all afternoon. Whether that is formation or accommodating some players I don’t know.

That result was/is hard to take. Games in hand are great but I just can’t see us winning them at home!!
For the first time today I’m feeling like too spot is slipping away...
PO6_Hawk

Re: Vs Wealdstone

Postby Pompeyred » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:31 pm

1 step forward, 1 step back, it’s never easy is it, can we play all our games away?

We were well beaten I thought today, they played the better football and had 2 key ingredients.. pace and movement.

This game won’t define our season but 11 points will be hard to reel in if they play like that every week.
Pompeyred

Postby montyles » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:44 pm

According to Ian Baird, when i asked why Bailey didn`t start he told me in no uncertain terms he is carrying a f......g injury. The defence was shocking today, they are so slow at getting up the pitch when we are in possession, there is always a huge gap between them and the forwards, at one point our formation was 1-7-3. Also a number of people have commented on the width of the pitch, are we winning games away because of bigger pitchs, just a thought.
montyles

Postby mark c » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:18 pm

Beaten fairly and squarely by the best team I've seen this season

Yes there's an 11 point gap, but the season is not over yet

We need to cut out the defensive mistakes, but let's not forget are are missing key players like Craig Robson

There is still a long way to go in the season, I thought that the play offs were our aim at the start of the season, we're still comfortably in those places

I think the position we are in is pretty impressive when you look at the mess we were at the end of last season

We have a complete new side who have in general done pretty well, I know today was disappointing but we ain't doing to badly
There's no such things as Rock stars, there's just people who play music , some of them are just like us and some of them are dicks
mark c

Postby martin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 pm

Yes, got beaten by a side who on the day were considerably better than us.
Great start with the early goal..but wasn't too long before Wealdstone began to look like they could strike back. As suggested earlier all square at h.t was probably a fair reflection of first 45 minutes.

Very different story second half though. Despite re taking the lead early, we did not look like we would be able to hold on and their equaliser was no surprise when it arrived. They then finished the game stronger and although it was a terrible error that gifted them the 3rd and crucial goal...it was one of several chances in quick succession that they had.

Disappointing performances at home are becoming a bit too much of a theme in last couple of months. Perhaps 4 away games on the bounce is just what we need now...although I think we are asking for miracles to be able to keep up the incredible run of form on the road. For me, the real key to how the season will turn out will depend on getting back to winning ways on regular basis at Westleigh Park.
martin

Postby Paxo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:58 pm

Hawks had much the better of the first half without creating too many clear cut opportunities. Wealdstone took over in the last half hour or so after we had gone 2-1 up and on another day, could have been out of sight long before they were with the defensive errors that kept creeping in from us. Still a long way to go and it certainly isn't over just yet, albeit we have made it a lot more difficult for ourselves. We do seem to lack a bit of pace in defence at times and I feel a bit sorry for Joe Cook who seems to have paid a high price for one slip which cost us a goal a few weeks ago when he had been playing so well. I'd also prefer Magri at centre back but understand why he gets ahead of Benny at right back in certain games as gives us a bit more solidity. Benny is probably better as a wing back than in a 4 as it gives him a lot more freedom to get forward.

I wonder whether we might be looking to try and strengthen in the next few weeks as a lot of our rivals certainly seem to have brought a few new additions in recently. I think Moses Emmanuel who scored 2 for them today has only recently signed. I know Dorking and Weymouth have also added to their squad in recent weeks. Having said that, I believe Roarie Deacon is getting closer to returning which will be like having a new signing and from what I saw of him earlier in the season, will give us another dimension in terms of creativity.

Hopefully back to winning ways on Tuesday at Dulwich. UTH!
Paxo

Postby trevorfj » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:18 am

I have to agree with most of the previous observations.
The defence performs better when Craig Robson and Nicky Bailey are present with Sam Magri, and Benny Read adds a real overlapping threat with Sam covering for him.
Whatever next season holds there appears a need to lower the age of the squad and the weight of some members. Can we afford to start rebuilding now and improve the the chances of promotion this season and a good start next season?
Keep the faith. COYH
trevorfj

Postby baz » Sun Jan 19, 2020 12:54 pm

Think we're all pretty much in agreement it was a defensive shambles. Wouldn't mind so much if this was a one off performance, whilst admittedly not seen recent away games but home form has been disappointing for too long now. To be brutally honest 4-2 flattered us, could and should have been more goals conceded. Agree with having experience but you need the legs to go with it and swift forwards on heavy pitches exposes our cumbersome centre backs. Magri should always start in the middle for me, and hopefully Craig Robson is back sooner rather later. Midfield was pretty ineffective as well yesterday.

Maybe Dos needs to freshen up the squad with 2 or 3 new faces like most of our rivals have. Though we still have games in hand on them, its going to be a monumental task to pull back 11 points on Wealdstone, whilst trying to maintain a play-off position. Still believe we are easily capable of achieving the play-offs but we do need to turn round our home form pretty quick.

COYH
baz

Postby King of Spades » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:22 pm

Problem at the moment is primarily the defence plain and simple, we have 1 clean sheet in the league since August which tells its own story

You have to expect some adjustments will need to be made when you have an entirely new squad as we did, so its not quite the same issue as if this had been going on for years. Through various problems and injuries we have not had a settled back 4 at all this season at any point so that doesn't help

Whats really irritating tho is the individual errors are constantly costing us big. Looking back on Saturday its not like Wealdstone cut us open all the time or anything, it was missed clearances, allowing free runs at crosses, sloppy passing and generally simple mistakes that they took advantage of

Still 100% believe when we play at our best we have the best team in this league and 11 points with 3 games in hand is far from insurmountable. The loss however means the next 4 games are massive now, we need at least 10 points from them to put pressure on. We are using 2 of those games in hand and wiith Wealdstone playing Bath next week things could all look very different by the end of the month

But if we are to win it, the shit defending must be sorted out as soon as possible!
The lessons learnt from the FA Cup run still live on... Westleigh Park has better paper towel dispensers than Anfield!!

KOS visited grounds - http://www.footballgroundmap.com/king-of-spades
King of Spades

Postby robbie » Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:30 pm

Home games - pitch narrow width - struggle to break down teams

Away games - pitch normal width - points on the board
robbie

Next

Return to Hawk Lounge