LOOKING GOOD

Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

LOOKING GOOD

Postby Allen » Sat Feb 17, 2018 7:33 pm

As one of the grumpier terrace stalwarts I have to say at the two thirds stage; we're looking good, looking very good.

IMHO, rather like last year, we started slowly and have slowly built momentum. The first third of the season saw us 22 points, scoring 22 and conceding 15. However, the second third has seen us move up the gears very nicely. 31 points. 26 goals and just 8 conceded. In this period the only defeat was by the single goal at Dartford. This compares very favorably to four in the first third.

Let's hope it will be like last year where we stay there and thereabouts before moving into the top slot just at the end.

We now seem to be dominating games and, have a great mixture of youth and experience. TBH the only thing I see stopping us now is if we get a wet few weeks and our pitch causes us to have a fixture pile-up.
Portsmouth Senior Cup Winners 2015 & 2017; Runners-Up 2016
Allen

Re: LOOKING GOOD

Postby martin » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:26 pm

It was certainly a strong performance, and by the end was feeling like a 2 v 0 hammering really. Whilst the opening exchanges were a little more even and they had a couple of dangerous set piece opportunities the longer the game went on the more dominant we became. We missed numerous chances particularly once 2 goals up- although to be fair several were decent efforts on target which their keeper dealt well with.

Wes was excellent as usual, the strikers looked a real threat, Rory Williams was great attacking down the left and Brian Stock was at the heart of a lot of good work until he was replaced by the equally as strong Mike Carter.

Other results went well today...apart from Dartford's win so the league table does look rather exciting currently.
martin

Re: LOOKING GOOD

Postby baz » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:50 pm

Martin has pretty much summed up the game there. Could easily have been 5 or 6 but for some sharp saves from the keeper, and perhaps on 1 or 2 occasions when we should have been a bit more clinical but that's just nitpicking.

At the start of the season I thought 60 points would be a creditable effort given we've virtually got the same team as last season, but the team has looked and played so much better this year, which I think has surprised and delighted us all. All areas of the pitch, we're looking strong and prepared to mix it up to suit the conditions and opposition. Yesterday I thought Hungerford came for a battle and we obliged in spadefuls and I think the Referee was feeling a bit sorry for them every time the big fella kept falling over.

Next week we visit a fellow promotion contender, but if we carry on like we have been, I'm really confident of a positive result

COYH
baz

Return to Hawk Lounge