Full and frank discussion about all matters Hawk related. Register to post.

Postby martin » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:02 pm

A hard fought 0 v 0 draw on a difficult surface.
First 70 minutes was pretty even really with few clear chances for either side- a free header from a first half corner from their massive number 5 being the closest to a goal in that period. The last 20 however, we began to dominate- numerous set pieces, a few goal mouth scrambles and 2 or 3 genuine good chances to snatch the vital goal. It wasn't to be though with the cross bar and later a great save from Matt Tubbs close range strike keeping us out.

I thought Braintree looked a well organised decent side and they probably feel they got the point they deserved given how well they held out during our strong period at the end of the game.

I thought from the outset that a point would be a decent enough outcome and at half time was still thinking the same. By the end however, it felt a little more disappointing given how well we finished the game...but considering other results today we can probably just about call it a point gained. I don't think we will have a tougher game this month.

Re: Braintree

Postby Probably Shirts » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:16 am

What a game for the purists that was.

When I say "purists", I mean people who yearn for the bygone days when football was football, and men were men, and pitches were whatever you could find to chuck down your jumpers for goalposts, and refs were nowhere near as rubbish as they are today. You know - the good old days!

But seriously, a great advert for the sheer fitness and determination of two good sides. As Martin says, last 20 minutes there was only going to be one side winning it, but even so on that surface it could easily have come down to one slip-up. Youngy's awesome save on the edge of the box after one of our defenders slipped (I think it was Rhino) meant that it wasn't our misfortune that cost us.

Onwards and upwards, a decent point won.

Good luck to the kitmen to get that lot clean. :clap:
Check out the latest Walking Football news at:
Probably Shirts

Return to Hawk Lounge